Monday 9 November 2009

The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack; Meet Miss Anya Marina

Hello all!!
Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, then I'm sure you will have noticed that 'New Moon' is almost here!!!! Never have I been more excited for a movie to come out since Titanic, and since there are 'Eclipse' and 'Breaking Dawn' to come, natch, then it's even better!! If you can't wait until the official release date of November 20th for the second tantalising treat of the Twilight Saga, then it's time to get your hands on the original motion picture soundtrack at the very least. Now, having listened to the soundtrack, I have to say I do have my reservations and although most of the artists picked for the soundtrack are favourites of mine, the soundtrack as a whole is a grower for me, but its very mellow and idealistic when procrastinating inside the comforts of your bedroom/boudoir or just having as some pretty nice background music. Although I like the soundtrack, the film hasn't been released yet so you do find yourself unable to put the songs into context, although I'm at the stage where I'm guessing where they might fit in. The New Moon Soundtrack does have a hard first soundtrack to live up to with the songs from Twilight having set the intial bar. Another thing that is mildly annoying is I was disappointed to find that the rumours were not true, and in fact, Mr Pattinson does not contribute to the soundtrack as I was sure he would. However, Muse have featured again on this soundtrack, and seem to be going from strength to strength at the moment if their current album 'The Resistance' is also anything to go by. The soundtrack is less commercialized than the first one and is brilliant for showcasing true talent, especially from the likes of Thom Yorke, from Radiohead fame whose song '15 step from the 'In Rainbows' album was featured in the beginning credits of Twilight. Particular favourites for me include 'Meet me on the Equinox' by Deathcab [For Cutie], 'Roslyn' by Bon Iver, [ whose song 'Woods' is awesome, and is featured in E4 teen drama 'Skins' in the UK and is a must-hear], 'Possibility' by Lykke Li ['Little Bit' is also an fantastic song by them] and 'Satellite Heart' by Anya Marina. I love her mellow, husky voice and the melody is really simplistic but enough to get the emotion that is heard throughout the song.
Here is the video below, which I love, and have this particular soundtrack playing constantly.
Just in case you were wondering, here is the official tracklisting for the entire soundtrack, and the video is also featured below. Enjoy!!

1. Meet Me On The Equinox - Death Cab For Cutie

2. Friends - Band Of Skulls

3. Hearing Damage - Thom Yorke

4. Possibility - Lykke Li

5. A White Demon Love Song - The Killers

6. Satellite Heart - Anya Marina

7. I Belong To You [New Moon Remix] - Muse

8. Roslyn - Bon Iver & St Vincent

9. Done All Wrong - Black Rebel Motorcyle Club

10. Monsters - Hurricane Bells

11. The Violet Hour - Sea Wolf

12. Shooting The Moon - OK Go

13. Slow Life [with Victoria Legrand] - Grizzly Bear

14. No Sound But The Wind - Editors

15. New Moon [The Meadow] - Alexandre Desplat

16. Solar Midnite - Lupe Fiasco

17. All I Believe In - The Magic Numbers & Amadou & Mariam

18. Die Fiedermaus - APM Orchestra



'Satellite Heart' Anya Marina

Anya Marina | MySpace Video