Sunday 4 July 2010

Muse...

Although I'm still in the middle of BA, lately I've been intrigued by writing something about the Salem Witch Trials which happened around the 1800s. The period was dark, haunting and scary as hundreds of innocent women were persecuted and sent to death in order to abolish witchcraft circulating in the town of Salem, Massechusetts.
Here's what I've come up with so far...

Nobody was supposed to know my secret. Nobody was supposed to know I was different. Especially the one I loved.
It had always been my secret to keep - I was born with it - and it would die with me. No matter how hard I tried, I saw my secret as a curse, my curse to bear, like I had been doing for the last 17 years of my life - and while I knew my secret could wield great power - it certainly wasn't a lifestyle choice for me.
I had seen them in my dreams - and they were coming for us now. I couldn't keep my secret any longer when it was killing the one I loved - I wouldn't - I would sacrifice everything, and everything I had ever known in order to protect him, to keep him from harm.
We stood together in the forest - his hand on top of mine - and I looked at him and was filled with a raw, burning desire.
His eyes bore into mine, and I did everything I could not to lose focus - but out of the corner of my eye I saw them through the trees, getting closer to us with every heartbeat.
My hand was still wrapped around his, and my head turned from the sound of hooves to look at him one last time.
It was as if we were in slow motion -everything slowing right down as the last few seconds we had slowly ebbed away.
Suddenly, I let go of his hand and turned to face the trees where I knew they would emerge from. I turned back to him and whispered: "Run!!"
I felt his fingers brush against my skin and the tears fall down my face as I felt him disappear from my side. I closed my eyes to stop myself from running, and opened them slowly to face the killers in front of me.
[I thought I'd choose a song to go along with this, so to keep with the slightly haunting theme, I've chosen "Heavy in your arms" by Florence and The Machine from the Eclipse Soundtrack. Words cannot describe how much I love each and every part of this song - from lyrics, instrumentals, and voice]