Sunday 4 July 2010

C'est Moi...



Just thought I'd share some of my fashion obsessions this past month...

1. Never underestimate the allure of the "boyfriend" blazer/oversized shirt
The "Boyfriend" blazer has been a fashion staple in many a girl's wardrobe for months on end now... the reason being, it works with absolutely everything!! Whether you have a interview or a night out, you can immediately shrug it on for instant appeal, giving you a tailored, put together look that effervesces confidence. Not to mention, if you happen to be at your boyfriend's house, his oversized shirts never fail to please and works every time if you're trying to simultaneously draw attention away from serious bedhead hair.

2. Know what works for you, and as sad or as simple as it might be, stick to it, and rock what you got!
Simple, but true. I can't tell you how many times I have stared adoringly and achingly over fashion trends that are in style and I can't wear them... for me, this more or less constitutes the entire Topshop collection, but I know that sometimes, it's just not going to work well with my body. Now since I'm yet to be a gym bunny, I know that the colour that works for me each and every time is... [drum roll, please....] Black. But as much as this might seem boring, I've learnt to "colour pop" my accessories here and there, so that my outfit still manages to make an impact! Unfortunately, I don't look like Christina Ricci or Angelica Huston, so sadly the Morticia Addams look is lost on me, but you do have to make your clothes work for you. and if you can do that, everything else will fall into place. If you like accessories or shoes more than clothes, start with them first and finish with your outfit last.

3. The Power of Topshop
Certain little girls are undeniably lucky in life. Yes, I'm talking about celebrities and their children, of course. Now you have Ava Phillippe getting to meet Rob Pattinson on set, Lourdes Leon and her mum/muse Madonna, and even Lila Grace and mum Kate Moss, but none are as lucky as Chloe Green, daughter of Topshop mogul and powerhouse Sir Philip Green. Her wardrobe must be undeniably amazing. Not only have Topshop expanded in the UK and US as well as internationally, and feature designers such as Kate Moss and Biba founder Barbara Hulanicki, but now they've launched Topshop Make-up. As is the same with most make-up brands, I get incredibly excited only to find that in actual fact, most brands cater to the masses but not, unfortunately, the minority for people with black skin. So I walk out feeling a little bit blue, the very best I can get being eyeshadow of some sort.... Benefit and Stila, I'm looking at you here....
Topshop make-up is probably NOT going to steer me away from my everlasting love of MAC make-up products.... the only other brands I like include Chanel, Dior, Lancome, Bobbi Brown, No.7, Revlon, Rimmel, L'Oreal, & Illamasqua.... I would say Yves Saint Laurent but it's ridiculous that Touche Eclait [ie. "the best concealer in the world" apparently, only does a selected range of colours and therefore have shades that don't match my skin tone. Ridiculous for a high end label of that stature. But, if worst comes to the worst, I could always head to Primark, as they have launched their own range of make-up too. The possibilities on that scenario could prove endless.

4. Vintage Shopping? High Fives all round!!
Who can resist the lure of the vintage find? Absolutely nobody, that's who, even when it comes to Celebrities! Head down to Portobello Market, and my favourite vintage store "One of a Kind" where Thandie Newton wore a resplendent vintage dress to the BAFTAs and go wild!! Rokit in London is also very good and the same can be said for thrift stores in areas such as Primrose Hill. I usually follow this up with a afternoon out at The Lansdowne, which is one of the very best gastropubs in Primrose Hill.

5. Chanel "Maniac" Lipstick - Limited Edition
This lipstick from Chanel is one like no other, hence the name "Maniac", but you do need to grow a pair of balls [figuratively speaking] in order to pull this particular look off, as it asks for some confidence. Pair your look down overall and take things right back to basics. You want your face to be absolutely minimal, so that the lipstick and the colour itself is allowed to do its job and "pop" the way you want it to. Now some might say because this is considered the darker of most lipsticks, it's best suited to darker skin tones, but I actually don't think that's true. The lipstick is almost black when you view it from a far, but once you get a bit closer, it's got the most lovely shade of black cherries as its main undertone. For an additional striking symmetry, it's best to pair this lipstick with absolute minimal/nude make-up and a strong eyebrow to finish.