Tuesday 12 October 2010

Autumn and Egyptian Queens...

I've always found the Autumn season to be incredibly comforting, despite it being the end of the year, and the period just before the madness of the Christmas season kicks off.
Its the time of year you can wear huge oversized knits and curl up on the sofa with a book and watch the world go by, and it's perfectly justifiable because it's just that time of year. I also love what autumn brings with it... the promise of going back to childhood memories and deciding to walk through a mountain of leaves on pavements... just to hear the satisfying sound beneath your feet, balmy evenings, catherine wheels, conkers, the colours of bronze, red, and gold suddenly being everywhere! As well as this, suddenly your house seems to be filled with lovely smells of lovely comfort food such as warm apple pie, cherry and plum crumble, roast dinners, and the promise of red wine! I remember writing a poem called 'Autumn Leaves' as a child and the poem recieving the Headmistresses' Award, not to mention reading it aloud in front of the entire assembly class! I really wish I could remember how it went, but I can't. It was something like 'Autumn leaves are falling...' but anyway, I remember how much I enjoyed writing all about it.
I want to draw your attention to a very special book by the awesome author that is Margaret George. Like Phillippa Gregory, her speciality is Historical Fiction, and this particular book of hers is so amazing that I can't work out if it's better than books such as 'The Other Boleyn Girl' or 'The Boleyn Inheritance' but actually, I think it is.
The book is written in the first person, but what makes the book truly magical is the extent of it's truly fascinating and seemingly accurate content. Unlike Anne Boleyn, the Boleyn family and The Tudors, we don't know that much about Queen Cleopatra of Egypt, apart from her very impressive sex life which almost tore apart a dynasty. Anyway, I can't stress enough how much I loved this book, so even if you don't like historical fiction, this is a FANTASTIC read regardless.

[Other things I'm loving this Autumn are...]

1. The promise of Halloween and Guy Faulkes / Bonfire Nights..

I love Halloween and Bonfire Nights. I know in LA, everyone goes all out and they even have a special pumpkin patch ground that's full of perfect pumpkins, whilst everyone in the UK has to settle for their local supermarkets... but no matter! Halloween is still LOADS of fun, with everything from trick or treating, eating lots of candy until your stomach explodes, or the sheer brilliance of dressing up and taking the craziest pictures imaginable. I'm not doing anything special for Halloween this year, but hopefully I'll make up for that next year, but if anyone is doing something cool, let me know and send me in your photos!
Bonfire Night is the same. I think I may be a bit of a pyromaniac, as I love lighting matches, the smell of fire burning, watching fire, and the smell of petrol. Not the best combination in the entire world, but I'm proud to fly my freak flag high!!! Bonfire night is awesome if you get good company, some kind of bonfire going, and the promise of roasting marshmallows as well as unlimited mugs of hot chocolate. Also, I think it's great everyone comes together to celebrate Guy Faulkes, who decided one day, to just blow up the houses of Parliament. Unfortunately, this didn't quite work out the way he had planned, but you gotta admire the guy's gusto.

2. [Alexander Wang Siamese Clutch]


Autumn trends are well and truly in, and leopard print is one of the biggest ones for A/W. So since seeing this Alex Wang Siamese clutch, I'm in leopard heaven. Now, who wants to buy this for me? Hands up! Anyone? I will promise to love you forever.


3. [Wedding Daze]

Just how cute is this gorgeous photoshoot??
It would be amazing to have a wedding like this - no crowds, no pressure, no family drama, just close intimacy with the one you love.

4. [Other things I'll be grateful for this Autumn...]

1. 'Firework' by Katy Perry & 'Lover you should have come over' by Jeff Buckley/Jamie Cullum

2. Wonderland by Tinie Tempah and Ellie Goulding

3. The return of red cups to Starbucks and the promise of Pumpkin Spice Lattes, Gingerbread Lattes, Toffee Nut Lattes, and Egg Nog Lattes.

4. Autumn Reeser - I love this actress, not just because her name's Autumn, but she made The OC series 3 watchable and extremely funny in the midst of all the Mischa/Marissa drama.
I miss Taylor Townsend for lines such as: 'Anything else you'd be facing a long night, including candle wax, tube socks and the new fiona apple CD.'