Monday 8 March 2010

kitchen magic....



I would say that I'm like Carrie Bradshaw when it comes to most things.... OK, so I don't have her wardrobe, her labels, or I haven't fallen in love with a 'Mr Big' of my own.... yet... and I don't get paid oodles and oodles of money for writing what always seems like two sentences and a question mark for a newspaper column working from a nice apartment.... although this would be my dream job. But I am like Miss Bradshaw when it comes to my skills in the kitchen. I don't cook, and can't remember the last time I turned on a stove... the last time I made anything was french toast and even then it was not appreciated - cho!! Carrie says 'I don't cook... I keep sweaters in my stove!'
But if there were ever four people to persuade me into the kitchen, they would be Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, Sophie Dahl, and my new favourite cook crush, Gizzi Erskine.
If you ever watched 'cook yourself thin', then you will have seen Gizzi's face before, and if not, you will. She's basically a former body piercer turned culinary queen, her signature look being a very high beehive, a LBD, and lashings of liquid eyeliner. Her book 'Gizzi's Kitchen Magic' is a quirky mix of comfort eating and wholesome goodness, with light, quick and delicate recipes that will even impress the in-laws. A must buy if you feel the need to impress food-wise!
I'm still far behind planning a dinner party, but as well as building up to that, I'm starting to get pretty good at what I like to call 'Midnight Breakfasts' -instead of just raiding the fridge at midnight because i'm too hopped up on coffee or too drunk after a night out.