Friday 1 October 2010

Books, Vogue, Models, & The Colour Red...

I came across this book today, and I knew it was the purrrrfect compliment for my new coffee table in my next apartment....


So, if like me, your favourite models include Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Claudia Schiffer, Sasha Pivarova, Coco Rocha, Natalia Vodianova, Erin Wasson, Chanel Iman, Iman, Jourdan Dunn, Tyra Banks, Gisele Bundchen, Lara Stone, Lily Donaldson, Daria Werbowy, Crystal Renn, and Jessica Stam amongst others, but you're interested to know how it ALL started back from the reign of the Supers to the present day, who better to present a book which covers models than the holy grail of fashion, Vogue Magazine?

Throughout history, fashion models have occupied a curious position: while their faces were instantly familiar, virtually nothing else was known about them. But their impression upon Vogue's readership has always been considerable -- they reflect and represent the ever-changing ideal of beauty. It was models such as Barbara Goalen and Fiona-Campbell Walter in Britain and Lisa Fonssagrives and Dorien Leigh in the US, in the 1950s, who were the first to become household names and to achieve the glamour and prestige that came with world fame. The supermodels of the 1990s turned the profession into a billion-dollar industry, and today models like Kate Moss, Claudia Schiffer and Gisele Bundchen are brand names. Our fascination with these sublime creatures never seems to wane. Shining a light on these women's lives, Vogue Model uses photographs and illustrations from more than ninety years of Vogue's history to tell the fascinating story of the real faces of fashion.

[Praise for Robin Derrick and Robin Muir: ]

  • 'The world's most influential fashion magazine' NEW YORK TIMES
  • 'Reminds you that while anyone can do fashion, nobody does it quite like Vogue' OBSERVER for Vogue Covers
  • 'This beautifully stylish tome brings together almost a century of the style bible's covers . . . pure fashion fantasy' THE TIMES for Vogue Covers
  • 'Anyone who was anyone appears within these pages' GLAMOUR for People in Vogue
[SO....Coco Rocha just did a cute little video about 'the day in the life of....' - it's a must for anyone interested in what supermodels do day to day when fashion weeks come knocking!]





October is here, and there's always something incredibly cool about Halloween. So with that in mind, and every fashion show these days bringing out models with vamp inspired lipstick tones, I thought I'd celebrate two of this season's most ominous tones...



[My favourite darker lipstick shades for this season...]

1. Chanel Rouge Allure - 'Maniac'
[This is my ultimate favourite dark lipstick. Trust me when I say it is dark, almost black in fact, so PAIR everything else all the way down when applying. Trust me when I also say the range itself is limited edition only, so when shopping, be prepared to HUNT.]

2. Topshop Lipstick - 'Vamp'
[If Chanel isn't exactly in your budget... and you like to save instead of splurge, [or if you're just slightly afraid of the colour and would be happier testing it with a similar but cheaper option...this is a good choice!]

3. Chanel Rouge Coco - [A nice 'plum' sort of colour!]


Now, although people have always said I technically have the 'right' skintone to pull off louder lipstick colours, just like Red, I've always shied away from it myself on account of the fact that the first time I wore red, I thought it looked bloody awful. In the words of Sienna Miller, 'red lipstick made me look like a clown.' Now, call me crazy, but Ms Miller's attended a fair amount of premieres/fashion shows, and award shows wearing little else on her face but red lipstick, in fact, and if what I see pasted across the 10 magazines or so that I'm helplessly drawn to every month, then sign me right up for clown college!
Anyway, one day soon, I feel I'll be BRAVE enough to try out the red lipstick again.... [with photographic evidence] but for now, I'm going for a 'stained' look - recommended by various make-up artists around the world over if you feel a full on pillarbox red is going to prove too much for you.

But... in the meantime, I can always check out these lovely ladies for some much needed inspiration!

[Other Red/Pink based lipsticks from my favourite brands that you can try include the following: ]

1. NARS - 'Schiap'

2. MAC - 'Lady Danger'

3. MAC - 'Ruby Woo'

4. Tom Ford - 'True Coral'


[The best examples of Red lipstick I've found recently! Especially love Keisha Buchanan's look at the Naomi Campbell Dolce & Gabbana afterparty at Bond Street, and Rihanna's official cover for her fifth album, 'Loud']







[Penelope Cruz]

I also thought these really, really cute little red shoes courtesy of Ashley Madekwe are really cute too, able to make any outfit POP! with colour. Red shoes like these really suit a minimalist outfit with paired down make-up, so there's a flash of colour and a more concentrated focus on a pair of delectable red shoes!


Special Thanks to Coco Rocha and Ashley Madekwe
Visit their blogs @:
http://www.ohsococo.blogspot.com
http://www.ashley-ringmybell.blogspot.com